Mid May in tropical North Queensland should be beautiful and sunny with average daytime temperatures of 26 degrees, with fresh and cool nights...so what happened this year? A long, and late wet season has meant it's felt like an English winter to the locals with persistant rain and frost in the mornings (OK so maybe it was just dew).
Things are looking brighter with the sun making an appearance, and we all have our fingers crossed for him to stick around for a little while!
While the ducks may be loving this extra hydration..we are left abit more limited with what to do while in this beautiful part of the world. The adventure loving amoungst us may enbrace the rain and carry on with the outdoor activities the Whitsundays is famous for...but for most of us, a slight change of itinerary may be called for.
So, looking for a few ideas to brighten up your schedule?
1) Obviously, THE most essential activity - pamper yourself at The Beauty Room Airlie Beach.
Treat yourself to a massage, facial or spray tan..you don't need the sun to feel glowing!
2) Road trip slightly out of town to some more off the beaten track attractions - Cedar Creek Falls and Conway Beach are perfect to see some scenery and get in touch with nature. If its raining, chances are the waterfalls at Cedar Creek will be flowing, so perfect photo oppertunity and swimming spot. Conway Beach is HUGE, visit at a low tide for never ending beachy goodness (no swimming here though!).
3) Relax and unwind - Airlie Beach has plenty of cafes and cool little coffee shops, our personal favourites: The Fat Frog, The Deck, Sidewalk, Bohemian Raw.
4) Plan the rest of your trip if you are travelling through - Airlie Beach has roughly 3000 travel agents (maybe that's a slight exaggeration), so perfect oppertunity to get organised
5) Embrace the cooler tempertures to make the most of activities where heat stroke would be a worry in the warmer months! The boadwalk is a beautiful way to see the best of the ocean, and the tracks through the National Parks lead to some STUNNING views if you can handle the hike (Honeyeater is a goodun).
The Beauty Room Team xo